What is a Keratoconus?
Advanced Vision Care is a world leader in keratoconus treatment.
Keratoconus comes from the combination of two Greek words, ‘kerato’ for cornea and ‘konos’ for cone. It is a progressive degenerative disease that causes the cornea to lose stability leading to thinning and bulging into a cone shape consequently weakening the integrity of the cornea. Keratoconus affects one in every 2000 people and the severity varies between individuals.
This debilitating disease normally presents itself between the ages of 10 to 25 and it is progressive, usually starting in one eye and, over time, it can progress to the other. The exact cause is unknown but studies suggest it can be hereditary and often runs in families. Chromosomal and connective tissue disorders have been strongly linked to the presence of Keratoconus.
Atopic conditions like eczema, asthma and hay fever have been associated with the disease and symptoms caused by those conditions lead to rubbing of the eyes which in turn accelerates the disease. Excessive contact with the eye has been linked to the progression of the disease, including trauma and poor fitting contact lenses.
Keratoconus causes an increase in corneal steeping that thins the cornea and leads to complex high prescriptions with an irregular corneal astigmatism. This leads to a deterioration in vision causing an impairment that drastically affects lives. Sufferers experience:
- Blurred sight that often progresses to monocular diplopia (double vision).
- Difficulty seeing at night.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Fluctuations in prescription.
- Glasses eventually become unusable.
In moderate Keratoconus, sufferers are forced to wear hard, rigid or gas permeable contact lenses (these lenses are costly, painful and cannot be worn for extended periods of time).
If left untreated, Keratoconus can lead to a corneal transplant.
AVC are one of the only clinics in the country to offer total visual rehabilitation for sufferers of Keratoconus by providing treatment to halt the progression of the disease (Collagen Cross Linking), treatments to make contact lens wear more comfortable (INTACS, Kerarings and Kerasoft lenses) and treatments to correct the visual impairment caused by the disease (Implantable Contact Lenses, Clear Lens Exchange and Piggyback lenses).
Suitability for treatment will be determined at consultation after comprehensive testing. AVC’s leading surgeon, Dr Pillai is a highly respected corneal specialist is present throughout every patient’s journey and designs a personalised treatment plan to achieve the visual goals of every individual.
- AVC offers total rehabilitation; with treatments to halt the disease, treatments that make contact lens wear more comfortable and treatments to correct the prescription.
- 1 in 2000 people suffer with Keratoconus.
- Keratoconus causes complex visual impairment with high prescriptions and astigmatisms.
- Best detected and treated early.
- AVC’s lead surgeon, Mr Pillai is a corneal specialist and is highly respected world renowned surgeon.
- The disease is progressive and can affect both eyes.
- The disease causes the cornea to weaken, thin and lead to bulging into a cone shape.
- Corneal Collagen Cross Linking halts the progression of the disease.
Our 5 star treatment is all about what is best for you
Step 1: Your Consultation
At your detailed consultation, we will carry out a thorough range of tests on your eyes to find out if you are suitable and to design the very best treatment plan for you.
Step 2: Your Surgery
With AVC’s world renowned laser eye surgeons and state of the art technology, you are guaranteed to experience surgery that is second to none.
Why choose Advanced Vision Care?
- UK’s leading independent vision correction clinic.
- Our Medical Director and lead surgeon is a corneal specialist with over 25 years of experience.
- Complete visual rehabilitation for sufferers of Keratoconus, providing treatments to halt the disease, make contact lens wear more comfortable and treatments for total vision correction.
- We provide Kerasoft lenses to reduce the inconvenience caused by removing contact lenses.
- Bespoke treatments are tailor made to correct the visual impairment caused by Keratoconus.
- We are leading providers in treatment for Keratoconus.
- Provide all our patients’ with the best care and results, constantly surpassing expectations.
- The largest independent optometrist network in the country, meaning patients’ can have treatment at the Harley Street clinic and enjoy incredible aftercare at a more convenient location.
- All appointments from the consultation to treatment and aftercare can all be performed at the AVC clinic on Harley Street.
- To make it easier for patients’ we have partnered with the UK’s leading health insurance providers.
Welcome To Our Clinic
100% Success Rate Enjoy 20/20 Vision
We started the vision correction revolution in the UK and our surgeons are pioneers in ophthalmology. Our popularity has spread around the world via word of mouth alone.
Top for Patient Comfort
Cutting Edge Technology
High Success Rate
What Our Patients Say
Now more people than ever can have the world class treatment with Advanced Vision Care on Harley Street. Our pricing is not only transparent but we have ensured that there are several ways to fund treatment so that no one has to compromise in quality of care, standards or technology. At AVC we offer interest free finance plans to help spread the cost and we have partnered with the UK’s leading insurance providers to make Harley Street quality available for more people.
Refer & Earn
Earn £100 after you refer a friend and they have keratoconus treatment at Advanced Vision Care