Dr CT Pillai, MD DO, FRCS (Edin), FRCOpth (UK)
Considered to be one of the world’s elite laser eye surgeons, DR CT Pillai’s expertise and knowledge of the field is second to none and sets a standard that is unrivalled by other clinics. At the same time he remains completely hands-on and his open, friendly approach puts patients at ease.
- Founder and Medical Director of Harley Street laser eye surgery clinic Advanced Vision Care
- Over 25 years of ophthalmic experience acquired in the UK, USA and India
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- An NHS consultant for five years prior to establishing his own private practice
- One of the first refractive surgeons to establish a surgeon-led laser eye surgery practice in Harley Street
- Member of the Technolas group think tank, a global leader in laser technology innovation
- Presents and participates in international conferences and training courses
- One of the few UK surgeons to have been awarded a Fellowship in Corneal and Refractive Surgery
- Personally implements all laser eye surgery procedures and continuity of care at AVC
- One of the first surgeons in the UK to perform bilateral LASIK laser eye surgery
- Extensive experience in blade-free Intralase LASIK, corneal grafting, cataract, Supracor and corneal cross-linking vision correction procedures
Dr Pillai & Advanced Vision Care
Dr Pillai founded Advanced Vision Care after amassing a lifetime’s experience in refractive surgery as a consultant for several well-known clinics in the UK and as a consultant ophthalmic surgeon for numerous NHS hospitals in the UK and hospitals in India.
He completed his Fellowship in cornea anterior segment diseases in the UK and the USA in 1994 and went on to work with many internationally recognised surgeons including Tom Casey and Professor Dua in the UK; Dr Siganos in Greece; and Stephen Wilson and Dr Cavanaugh in the USA. Dr Pillai has performed over 20,000 LASIK, LASEK and PRK procedures and is considered to be one of the most experienced laser eye surgeons in this field. He regularly presents papers and lectures at national and international refractive conferences and is extensively published in peer reviewed journals.
Mr Pillai’s research in the areas of corneal vascularisation, specular microscopy in uveitis, amniotic membrane transplantation, excimer laser surgery and dry eye disorders has contributed directly towards the advancement of techniques in these areas of ophthalmic medicine. His surgical skills and record of very low complication rates have been widely applauded in specialist journals such as Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Eye, IOVS, Optician and Cosmetic Surgery.
In 2003 Mr Pillai identified the need for an independent eye care clinic that could offer patients personalised laser eye treatment as an alternative to the high street chains. The rapid growth of AVC to become the destination for all forms of vision correction treatment, not just laser eye surgery, demonstrated the demand from patients for this bespoke approach. His continued commitment to remain independent of any one lens or laser manufacturer ensures that all AVC’s patients receive the treatment that will bring them the very best possible results.
Mr Pillai remains in charge of all clinical protocol and staff training and personally performs all laser procedures at the clinic. As the medical director of AVC, he has pioneered the creation of the UK’s first co-management scheme for optometrists and is actively involved in their training and certification. This allows patients to access qualified advice on vision correction and aftercare at an optometrist close to where they live to provide them with an unrivalled level of patient care and consideration.
Dr Pillai: Professional qualifications
- 1990: Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- 1989: Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 1988: Diploma in Ophthalmology, Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow
- 1982: Diploma in Ophthalmology, Madras University, India
- 1980: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Madras University, India
Dr Pillai: Affiliations & Memberships of Learned Societies:
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists (RCO – UK)
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- British Society of Refractive Surgery (BSRS – UK)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO – UK)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO – USA)
- American Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS – USA)
- International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS)
- European Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS)